Thursday, June 26, 2008

Why do I stand?

I stood today for an hour thinking of all the suffering of the women and children in Iraq, and the suffering of the women and children of Georgia who cannot afford basic health care. I stood thinking of the 350 infants who die in Georgia each year because they can’t access good quality health care and the 1,000 Georgians who died in 2006 from lack of healthcare. I stood today because I provide care for the poor women in Georgia who do not receive fundamental health care, and yet our country somehow manages to find the funds to spend $12,000,000,000 every single month to finance the Iraq war. I stood in memory of the 50,000 innocent women ad children who have died as a result of the Iraq war. I stood because war is not the answer but there is nothing else I can do, except stand for peace.

No comments: